Every hear the saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?
We made these proprietary formulas to be resistant to yellowing. Especially after curing, our epoxy is actually extremely resistant to yellowing after cured. We actually made this epoxy after ruining countless projects and large pours with other well known brands that kept yellowing or never cured correctly even though we followed their directions to a T.
Desperation builds innovation. We were desperate for the perfect proprietary formulas. The epoxy industry needed a lift and that's what you get with Glitter Chimp Epoxy formulas. Whether it be for your tumblers, keychains, abstract art, or for your deep pour applications like resin tables. We made several formulas for different applications, but our CAST formula is recommended for deep pour applications over half inch in depth. PRO and PRO+ are for you general use on everything else. PRO+ is the fast setting version and it can be used in the entire process, including the final coat.
However, all uncured bottled epoxy when exposed to air, will begin to oxidize. So keep in mind that the greater the space between the closed cap to the level of epoxy in the bottle, the higher the risk of yellowing. This rule applies to all epoxy. Keeping bottles sealed until use is recommended for long term storage. Once a bottle is opened, time is ticking and yellowing can start occurring within 30 days if proper prevention and storage is not adhered. Long term storage would be considered to be 3 months. Recommended storage temperatures for epoxy is 59F to 78F, the high temperature limit for long term storage is 86F. So the question people ask: "Is the epoxy still good to use once it's yellow"? Yes, it's still good and for most thin and medium coat applications, completely unnoticeable. But taking proper precautions can prevent yellowing all together.
Tips for using epoxy products:
- Store in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
- Keep lids on bottles when not in use.
- Only open your epoxy products only you are ready to use.
- Plan to use opened epoxy within 60 days.
- Use in well ventilated area.
- Use with acceptable protective equipment.
- Keep away from children, pets, heat sources.
- Epoxy products are considered to be flammable and can ignite if exposed to flames or high temperature. Use of torches is with extreme caution and at your own risk.